Recruitment of an SBCC Programme Manager
13 October 2022
Title: SBCC Programme Manager
Salary: Starting Salary £21,900 (£36,500.00 FTE)
Location: RIAS, 15 Rutland Square, Edinburgh, EH1 2BE
Hours: Part time - 21 Hours per week (3 days per week) Flexible hybrid working
Responsible to: Director: Policy & Development
Start Date: January 2023
The Scottish Building Contract Committee (SBCC) was established in 1964 to provide building contracts for use in Scotland. SBCC is made of five constituent bodies one of which is the RIAS, for further information please visit www.sbcconline.com.
RIAS provides the management support to the SBCC through a formal Partnership Agreement and the role will be a direct appointment to the RIAS.
The Programme Manager is to provide day-to-day corporate management services and support for the SBCC. The post-holder will work closely with the RIAS’s Director: Policy and Development and team, external consultants, SBCC Board, SBCC Committee, and SBCC Members.
The Programme Manager has a central role in delivering the SBCC’s internal management and external services, including its membership services.
The post will have responsibility for operational and corporate governance priorities and will oversee financial and external priority projects and activities, including events, marketing, communications, contracts, and assisting with the appointment of arbitrators, etc.
This is a senior level position, and the postholder is expected to contribute to the team at RIAS, helping to develop the SBCC priorities.
Reporting to the RIAS Director, the Programme Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day management and operation of the SBCC and offer and contribute to the development and implementation of the strategy for growth.
Part of this role involves ensuring the processes are in place so that members, the Board and Committee priorities are delivered.
The successful applicant will have significant business management experience within a relevant organisation, charity or company setting and will relish the opportunity to take on a new challenge, working on their own initiative for much of the time. A high degree of flexibility and the ability to manage effectively, both directly and across the organisation, will be key to this exciting role.
This is both a strategic and operational role, the appointed person will work 21 hours commensurate with 3 days per week. The role will primarily be between the hours of 9.00am and 5.00pm. The RIAS supports Hybrid Working.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee the organisations general operations, set out and agree strategies with the RIAS (Director) to ensure SBCC meets its operational and financial targets
- Keep up to date with best practice in business/corporate management
- Establish and maintain systems to report and evaluate business operations for the SBCC Board and Committee
- Maintaining and improve processes for members
- Establish and maintain relationships, both with external partners and with the wider construction sector
- Drive business development
Corporate and Operational
- Oversee the management of the database and subscribers’ details and renewals etc (working with the website/ database consultant)
- Ensure the SBCC Board and Committees are briefed and updated for quarterly meetings/ reporting or as required
- Undertake day to day management of member queries
- Oversea printing arrangements, maintaining stocks for the RIAS Bookshop and copies at libraries, etc. of all hard copies and digital formats of contracts
- Deliver external stakeholder communications including the use of social media
- Oversee management of external consultants - website/database/accountancy/etc.
- Responsible for keeping SBCC constitution, policies, regulations, and business planning up to date
- Appoint services and manage the requirements for the annual audit, including working with the accountant/auditor/etc.
- Responsible for ensuring that all HMRC/VAT/Companies House reporting is completed
- Procure and appoint legal advisers where required
Events, Sponsorship, Marketing and Communications
- Oversee delivery of the SBCC Annual Conference, seminars, and lectures
- Oversee the preparation of marketing and communications plan with the RIAS team
- Programming and provision of digital communications and platforms
- Oversee and deliver sponsorship
- Develop and implement activities and marketing campaigns to improve membership value and take-up as required
- Develop and oversee communication templates for members, and ensure these are kept up to date
- Ensure SBCC website, journals, meetings, and other activities are up to date with membership, board, and committee information.
- Manage any arbitration requests
Finance, administration, and processes
- Produce financial and other reports as required for quarterly/ annual reporting
- Responsible for overseeing the processing of membership direct debits
- Liaising with Finance team on year end reconciliations through Xero accounting system
- Providing all details and information to the accountant, to administer their duties
- Provide support for financial transactions in the RIAS bookshop and membership transactions through the website
- Responsible for paying invoices issued to SBCC
SBCC will have projects and strategic development initiatives that will be programmed by SBCC. The post holder will be responsible for working with SBCC board and members and/or managing outsourced services in the delivery of these, including:
- Drafting of new Contracts through to publication
- Selling contracts to the other constituent bodies
- Overseeing the purchase of contracts
- Subscriber services
- Digital contracts
- Website development
General Operational Duties
- Work independently to meet deadlines.
- Communicating regularly with the line manager and RIAS team to ensure all problems are solved effectively and any relevant information is passed on.
- Consistently look for ways to improve the service and actively feedback constructive ideas
- Promote equality and diversity in all aspects of your work by developing and maintaining positive working relationships, ensuring that colleagues are treated fairly and with respect
- Attend quarterly SBCC Board and Committee meetings, and issue minutes timeously thereafter
- Undertake any other duties as reasonably requested
Relationship with the RIAS team
- Establish and maintain a good relationship with the Director and the finance and operations team at the RIAS,
- Work closely with the Head of Communications and Marketing on strategies
- Work with Practice team to coordinate on members queries and contract updates etc.
This post requires an organised and enthusiastic individual with a minimum of 4 years’ experience of working in a corporate management role in the private/public sector, ideally with 2 years in a senior role. Degree level or equivalent; must demonstrate clear and rational thinking and be able to work on own initiative
- To have experience of working in a corporate management role, designing, and delivering corporate strategies.
- Passion and commitment to the work of SBCC and the construction sector
- Proven experience of leading, managing and balancing corporate priorities
- Highly organised, with ability to self-plan and prioritise workloads
- Excellent oral, copywriting, and communication skills
- Highly developed interpersonal skills including communication, influencing and collaboration
- Effective decision-making skills
- Self-starter, able to work proactively
- High degree of integrity and professional credibility
- Good team player, with an understanding of the challenges of working independently to a Board and in a small team
- Flexibility to work outside of office hours (by agreement)
- Experience of managing external consultants and their appointments as part of the team and ensuring delivery of priorities
- Experience of working in the construction sector and with contract administration
- Experience of working with both professional and membership audiences
- An understanding of current and emerging corporate management and construction trends
- Experience of communicating technical details.
Closing date is 4th November 2022, please send your CV and covering letter to email@example.com